The OES visited Sacra Via in Marietta on June 16, 2001. As with Quadranaou Mound, also featured in the Indian Mounds section of this website, Sacra Via was built around 900 AD by the Hopewell Culture. Sacra Via was once a sacred walled way from the Quadranaou Mound to the Ohio River. The walls were removed in 1843 by a local brick maker in order to produce bricks for the foundations of the homes that now surround the site of Sacra Via. Camp Tupper occupied the area during the Civil War. The camp was named for Brig. Gen. Benjamin Tupper, who was an organizer of the Ohio Company and one of the first settlers in the area in 1788. Sacra Via had the appeal of a small neighborhood park when we visited. There were some artistic carvings lining the park, they are included in the photos below.