The OES visited Fort Saint Clair on July 1, 2001. Located about a mile outside of Eaton, Fort Saint Clair was established in 1792 to protect the area’s early pioneers against the threat of Indian raids. It served as an important garrison and supply depot between Fort Washington and Fort Jefferson. Future President William Henry Harrison, who was serving in the Army at the time, helped erect the fort. On November 6, 1792, two hundred Indian warriors led by Little Turtle attacked one hundred mounted Kentucky riflemen, who had camped outside the fort. Six of those men died in the battle. Both the battlefield and the men’s graves are included in the photos below. Fort St. Clair was also a major supporting post in 1794, when General “Mad” Anthony Wayne finally defeated the Indians at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
The area is now a park that was established in 1923 to preserve and commemorate the old fort. Since 1987, the grounds have been used during winter as a Santa Land, where visitors drive through to view Christmas lights and decorations. Fort St. Clair is also home to the Whispering Oak Tree, which is over 200 years old. According to legend, you can hear the tree whisper under the right conditions. Only a few remnants of the original fort remain. Most of the structures pictured here were built when the site became a park. Make sure to check out the Fort Saint Clair Museum for some historical displays. Note that the OES is not affiliated with the park. Please visit the City of Eaton’s website for the park schedule.
Thanks to Corrine for taking us to Fort Saint Clair.
Location Information: Public Park
Fort Saint Clair is located on Camden Road in Eaton; Preble County.