The OES visited Scioto-Strader Cemetery on October 18, 2002. Although the cemetery was officially established in 1888, the oldest tombstone in the cemetery dated to 1825. It could be possible that some graves were relocated here from other cemeteries. Scioto-Strader Cemetery encompasses about five acres and is generally in good shape as it has been cared for by township trustees since 1920. Many of the tombstones dated from the late 1800s to mid 1900s. There was a small vault built into the side of a hill where bodies were stored throughout the winter so they could be interred in warmer weather when the ground was thawed. Unfortunately, the cemetery was heavily vandalized a few years after our visit. Through hard work and dedication, volunteers were able to restore most of the cemetery.
Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]
Scioto-Strader Cemetery is located down a lane south of Hiner Road, west of State Route 104 in Grove City; Franklin County.