Old Colony Burying Ground

The OES visited Old Colony Burying Ground on June 11, 2001. Established in 1805, the Old Colony Burying Ground on South Main Street in Granville contains over one thousand burials. Most of the tombstones were in decent shape when we visited, but some were weathered or broken. A sign in the cemetery stated that the cemetery was being restored. There are veterans from the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War buried in the cemetery. Although the first recorded burials occurred in 1806, the oldest tombstone we could find dated to 1813. We came across a couple of recognizable names in the cemetery. Timothy Rose was the first Deacon in the church and a main player in establishing Granville. There was a flag on his grave indicating he was a veteran, but we are unsure in which war he served. Rose died on November 27, 1813, at 51 years of age. The other recognizable name we saw was Jesse Munson, who was a primary pioneer who helped establish Granville. Munson died on April 27, 1813, seven months to the day before Rose.

Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]

Old Colony Burying Ground is located on South Main Street at West Maple Street in Granville; Licking County.