The OES visited Luray Cemetery on August 14, 2007. Located on Refugee Road in Union Township, Licking County, Luray Cemetery is northeast of the National Trails Raceway. The town of Luray was laid out by Adam Sane and Richard Porter in 1832. At that time, the community was bustling with activity. The nearby Ohio Canal and National Road made Luray a fine commercial center. “But since the men that made it such have passed away, and railroad facilities have attracted the commerce to other points…the towns of Moscow and Luray have nearly passed away.” As can be seen by this 1881 account, not much was left of the bustling town of Luray. Surely, many of the fine pioneers that made Luray grow and prosper are buried in the Luray Cemetery, however on our visit, this cemetery was in serious disrepair. Many of the tombstones were broken and in piles. A small, wrought-iron fenced section was completely overgrown with weeds. A few metal Veteran’s markers and flags still waved to commemorate our nation’s heroes; a Confederate soldier as well as a World War II soldier are buried in the cemetery. According to records, the oldest tombstone belongs to Abraham Keller, who died in 1811.
Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]
Luray Cemetery is on the south side of Refugee Road SW just west of State Route 37; Licking County.