The OES visited Hill Cemetery on July 5, 2003 with a follow-up trip on June 8, 2004. Sitting atop a hill overlooking the Scioto River, Hill Cemetery is a peaceful place for the departed to rest. The cemetery was the first laid out in Concord Township, platted by the pioneering Hill family. The first burial took place in 1821 when George Hill’s mother Elizabeth passed away at ninety-years-old. It was reported that many Native Americans were present for her burial, looking on in curiosity at the ceremonies of a Christian burial. According to records, at least six Revolutionary War veterans are buried at Hill Cemetery, along with several veterans of the Civil War. Most of the standing tombstones within Hill Cemetery date to the mid-to-late 1800s. They were generally in good condition at the time of our visit. Those that were damaged seemed to have been due to weather rather than vandalism.
As with many rural cemeteries off the beaten path, Hill Cemetery is said to be haunted. Local residents have reported seeing ghostly children roaming the grounds and have heard children’s laughter. The apparition of a man wearing a white suit has been spotted standing next to the old iron gate by at least one eyewitness. Strange sounds and darting shadows have been spotted int he wooded area that surrounds the cemetery. During the OES’ original nighttime trip to the cemetery, we were startled by mysterious lights moving through the woods at the rear of the cemetery. However, upon further inspection, we realized they were merely headlights on the road across the river. We could hear something following us in the wooded area that surrounds the cemetery on a subsequent follow-up trip, but we could not find the source of the noise.
Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]
Hill Cemetery is located east of Dublin Road and north of Home Road; Delaware County.