The OES visited Greencastle Cemetery on July 30, 2007. The cemetery sits about 100 yards behind an old church and a municipal building in the small hamlet of Greencastle. Although there were a few tombstones that were illegible or broken, most were in good condition and could easily be read. According to records, there were 98 marked graves and several unmarked graves in the cemetery in the 1940s. The earliest recorded burial took place in 1818, so the cemetery could have been founded sometime near then. The last recorded burial took place in 1916. Revolutionary War veteran Abraham Van Courtright, who settled near Greencastle, is buried here along with Jesse Courtright, who laid out the village of Greencastle. Also interred here are Christian and Lydia Morehart, who were the first owners of Rock Mill as it stands today. There are veterans from the War of 1812 and Civil War buried here as well.
Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]
Greencastle Cemetery is located behind an old church on Lithopolis Road in Greencastle; Fairfield County.