The OES visited Friendship Cemetery on July 1, 2001. Located near Eaton, most of the cemetery’s tombstones were either in good condition or knocked over. The oldest readable date we found on a tombstone during our visit dated to 1809. Most of the other dates ranged through the 1800s into the 1900s. According to records, Friendship Cemetery wasn’t officially established until the 1820s, so the older burials could have been relocated here. Some of the area’s earliest settlers are buried at Friendship Cemetery. There are veterans from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and the Civil War buried in the cemetery. The cemetery was deeded to the Friendship Universalist Church in 1854 and was later taken over by Gasper Township, who currently maintains the property.
Thanks to Corrine for taking us to Friendship Cemetery.
Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]
Friendship Cemetery is located on Winters Road near Eaton; Preble County.