The OES visited Carlisle Cemetery on July 14, 2007. According to records, Carlisle Cemetery was established around 1810 with its first burial. The half-acre cemetery only had about twelve standing tombstones when we visited but could contain upwards of 512 burials according to an old plat map, including veterans of the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Many of the burials are believed to be the former residents of the small Irish hamlet of Hibernia. Hibernia was established in the 1840s after property owner Thomas Armstrong “disposed” of a few lots along the National Road. The town’s post office closed in 1857 but the town lingered for some time until it had completely disappeared by the 1940s. Frank A. Livingston inscribed the cemetery in May 1939 and noted that many stones were down and covered with underbrush. An apartment complex now occupies where Hibernia once stood, with Carlisle Cemetery at the center of the complex.
Click Here for a complete list and photos of all standing tombstones as of July 13, 2007.
Location Information: Inactive Cemetery [Safe]
Carlisle Cemetery is located within the Hibernia Apartments complex off Noe-Bixby Road in Columbus; Franklin County.