The OES visited Fort Saint Clair on July 1, 2001. Located about a mile outside of Eaton, Fort Saint Clair was established in 1792 to protect the area against the threat of Indian raids. It served as an important garrison and supply depot between Fort Washington and Fort Jefferson. Future President William Henry Harrison, who was serving in the army at the time, helped erect the fort. On November 6, 1792, 200 Indian warriors led by Little Turtle attacked 100 mounted Kentucky riflemen who had camped outside the fort. Six of those men. The battlefield and the men's graves are pictured below. Fort St. Clair was also a major supporting post in 1794 when General "Mad" Anthony Wayne finally defeated the Indians at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
The area is now a park that was established in 1923 to preserve and commemorate the old fort. Since 1987 the grounds are used during the winter as a Santa Land where visitors drive through to view Christmas lights and decorations. Fort Saint Clair is also home to the Whispering Oak Tree that is over 200 years old. According to legend, you can hear the tree whisper under the right conditions. Only a few remnants of the original fort remain. Most of the structures pictured were built when the area became a park. Make sure to check out the Fort Saint Clair Museum for some historical displays. Thanks to Corrine for taking us to Fort Saint Clair. (The OES is not affiliated with Fort Saint Clair park.)