The OES visited Carlisle Cemetery on July 13, 2007. Carlisle Cemetery was established around 1810 with its first burial. The half-acre cemetery only has about twelve standing tombstones but could contain upwards of 512 burials according to an old plat map, including soldiers from the War of 1812 and Civil War. Many of the burials are believed to be the former residents of the small Irish hamlet of Hibernia. Hibernia was established in the 1840s after property owner Thomas Armstrong "disposed" of a few lots along the National Road. The town's post office closed in 1857, but the town still lingered for sometime until it had completely disappeared by the 1940s. An apartment complex now resides where Hibernia once stood, with Carlisle Cemetery right in the middle of the complex.
Click Here for a complete list and photos of all tombstones standing as of July 13, 2007.