The OES visited Hendren Cemetery on April 10, 2004. Also known as Barnhart Cemetery, what remains of this cemetery is just off State Route 317 in Groveport near a new industrial park. Established in 1826, Hendren Cemetery has at least 35 recorded burials and probably looked very pleasant at the time. At the time of our visit, it was in the worst condition of any cemetery we had visited up until that point. All of the tombstones were broken and piled into an overgrown area in the corner of a field. Almost none of the tombstones were in their proper location and many could not be read due to erosion and other damage. To top off the bad condition there were dead deer carcasses scattered about the grounds. We're not sure why there were so many dead deer, but it did not seem natural to us. One thing we were certain of was the cemetery had been forgotten for a long time. There was some construction going on in an adjoining field, so we thought the cemetery could be in danger of vanishing completely. Fortunately, a few years after our visit, a restoration project began to clean up and restore Hendren Cemetery. Progress was made in placing a plaque with those buried listed, a new gate was installed, and some of the tombstones were reset. We may return to the cemetery at some point in the future to report on its restoration.