The OES visited Forest Rose Cemetery on May 8, 2004. We have since returned on numerous occasions during the night with permission from the caretaker. This large cemetery was actually two separate cemeteries before its founding. The German Burying Ground was established in 1826 on what is now the north side of Forest Rose Cemetery; and the Lutheran Cemetery, established in 1848, was on the south side. The cemeteries were split by a field until the City of Lancaster bought both cemeteries in 1882, combining them into one and named it Forest Rose Cemetery. Many older cemeteries around Lancaster have been relocated to Forest Rose due to development. Forest Rose is rather large with hills and winding paths throughout. The highest point in the cemetery is over 1,100 feet above sea-level. Most of the tombstones and mausoleums are in great condition and the cemetery is very well kept.
We have experienced several instances of paranormal phenomenon during our sanctioned night visits to the cemetery. Four EVPs were recorded during a trip in May 2005 with the Central Ohio Paranormal Society. Then on the night of July 15, 2005, OES Coordinator Philip Niklas shot a remarkable photograph of an apparent apparition standing on a hill above a mausoleum. There were no people in the cemetery that night other than the four OES members. All members were accounted for and were no where near the area where this photo was taken. The photo was shot with a Canon Digital Rebel SLR camera with the shutter open for about 20-30 seconds. It is truly one of the clearest apparition photos that we have seen to date. Three versions of the photo are included below; the original, resized, and zoomed-in on the apparition. To read about paranormal encounters by our contributors, click here. Please send any comments about the photo to .