The OES visited Clifton School on September 23, 2007. Located on the border of Clark and Greene counties, the village of Clifton was once a hub for industry and travel in Ohio. In 1802, Owen Davis built a grist mill named Davis Mill, along with several other mills. Davis sold the mill to Colonel Robert Patterson, who renamed the village Cliff Town, later shortened to Clifton. Davis Mill produced material for the American army during the War of 1812 and for Civil War troops fifty years later. Clifton became a major stagecoach stop on the trail between Springfield and Cincinnati. The village bustled with travelers and businessmen. An adequate school building was needed for the growing settlement. Clifton School was established in an old 1830s Methodist church to serve the thriving community with plenty of room for the town's future. Unfortunately the town's future was not as grand as the townspeople thought. Clifton was bypassed when the railroads came through the area. Much of the town's industry left soon after. Even though the population dwindled, the school building continued to serve the village up through the 1960s. During our visit, portions of the first floor were being used by the Clifton Historical Society and Clifton Old Timer's Inc. Much of the remaining building was not being used and closed to the public. If you have any other information about Clifton School, please email with the details.